Saturday, December 15, 2012

Getting Ready for Christmas

I get ready for Christmas like I do everything else in my life. I plan strategically. Back in October, I made a timeline with deadlines of when I wanted all the "big stuff" done: presents bought, the Christmas cards printed, the letter written, and the cards in the mail, even the day that the goodies should be made and delivered to neighbors. For some people that would be MORE stressful. But for me, it brings order and peace of mind to my world. Oh, and did I mention that half of the "due dates" I set for myself were in November? Yeah, I like to get it done early so that I have time for family fun and relaxing in December -- at least that is the plan. I know that some of my family thinks I'm a bit crazy and neurotic in my holiday planning, but in the words of Ebeneezer Scrooge: "keep Christmas in your own way, and let me keep it in mine." Okay, that sounded a bit harsh (Scrooge's words usually are), but you get the point. I could have just said, "Each to their own" but that wouldn't have been as fun as quoting Scrooge. I find myself quoting Christmas movies a lot this time of year.

Here are some pictures of us decorating the tree. I have to give a shout out to Mason here. This year he was so eager to get the decorating done that I just let HIM do most of it. He brought all the boxes up from the basement. He set up the tree, got out all the nativity sets, and other decor...I didn't have a say in it (which was good and bad) but it was done without me having to lift a finger. But we did all come together a decorate the tree.

It was fun to have a new home to decorate.
New places to put things and ways to arrange the decorations.
 

I love Sadie's face in this picture. The wonder...the concentration.

 Okay, photography people...what SHOULD we have done here. The picture on the left has the flash on...it is too bright, you can't even tell that the tree is lit. But the picture on the right is too dark. What should I be changing? I really need to just take a photography class or have one of my talented friends or family members come over and teach me how to use my camera!!!!

A nice close up that Eric took of the tree. Good job Eric!!

Mason -- the great decorator himself

Colby showing off a favorite ornament -- Santa in a jeep
 
 This is our first home with a fireplace.
So this is the first Christmas that "the stockings were hung by the chimney with care..." I love it!


The next day I found Sadie mimicking this moving snowman toy.
It holds its chin and kicks its legs to music. She copied its moves exactly.
 
 
And finally, I wanted to add this photo. I looked back and realized that we had never taken any pictures of our full house from the front...one that showed the driveway.
I'm still not sure that this captures the angle of it. But believe me, it is wickedly steep.  
 



1 comment:

Wendy said...

I am the same way Heather. I have to get it all figured out and done early, on time or it stresses me out! Maybe it is genetic...and we got it!!