Monday, March 10, 2014

Mini Home Improvement Projects

The first one was a VERY simple, very quick project that we did on kind of a whim. The shiny, brass finish on the fireplace had always bugged me. So one Saturday a few weeks back, I just decided that we were going to spray paint it. Eric took it off....I taped up the glass...we hauled it to the garage and spray painted away. The only hiccup in the project was that we realized that it says on the can of paint to only paint when it is over 50 degrees. I think it was about 15 degrees that day. Oops. We brought out some space heaters and had to wait a little extra time, but it dried just fine. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I wish all projects could be done that quick and only cost $2.

BEFORE 
(this picture is from right after we moved in and our kitchen was out of commission 
-- so forgive the toaster.) It was the best picture I could find.
 

 AFTER


*   *   *

 This next project is only a quarter of the way done....if that. But I still wanted to share the progress we have made. Eric is mad that I even started it...without a plan to finish it. The pink flowery wallpaper was just getting to me, so I wanted to see how easy it would come down. It actually peeled off REALLY easy (Mason did the majority of it). But it left behind most of the brown-glue-paper backing. And revealed this lovely blue paint color underneath. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

BEFORE

DURING 
...stay tuned for the after -- hopefully in the next month or so


1 comment:

Rachael said...

Wow, I never would have thought that fireplace looked bad, but it sure does look awesome now. I hope the paint holds up well in the heat, and I trust you won't catch it on fire either. :)