Sometimes I feel like I am running a Book Mobile for my own family.
Let me begin by saying that reading is important to me. Really important. It is my passion and has been ever since I can remember. I can rarely be found without a book in hand, or in my purse, or sitting on the car seat next to me when I go somewhere. (You just never know when you will be able to squeeze in a few minutes with your book.) Thankfully, Eric shares my love of reading...maybe not as passionately as me, but he feels lost and grumpy when he doesn't have a good book and can often be found reading a novel in the evenings. Sadly, my kids have not developed my passion for literature. Until recently...
All of my kids have been good, strong readers. That's great and all, but that isn't my goal or dream for them. I want them to LOVE reading. I want to see them so absorbed in a book that the rest of the world disappears and time loses its meaning. For about the past year, Renae has been in that place. It was not unusual for her to disappear all afternoon and find out she had been reading...or see her look a little extra tired in the morning and hear her confession that she had been up late reading in bed. (I pretend I am upset and tell her to get to bed earlier -- but really I am thrilled!) I got all the kids reading lights for their beds just to encourage the "reading under the covers" phenomenon. (Am I crazy??)
So I knew that I had one child who had joined the team of reading fanatics. But in the past month we have gained three new recruits. Mason is a hot and cold reader...when he gets in a good series (like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson) he will race through it. Sadly, he will only read at night (late at night) in his bed. I can't convince him to read at other times, but I'll take what I can get. He is reading a lot and excited about books. Right now he is deep in to the Artemis Fowl series. It is all I can do to keep up with the books he needs. Which brings me to the title of this blog -- "The Book Mobile." I feel like I am running all over town to find the right book for him when he needs it. First try is always the Public Library, but if they don't have it in stock I try the middle school library where I work. If I STILL can't get my hands on the book I will email all the people I know who have a good Juvenile Fiction library in their homes and see if I can borrow it. Between the three of these places, I can usually find the book I need...but it does add up to some running around.
If it was just Mason I was doing this for, that wouldn't be too much. But right now Colby is on a Roald Dahl kick. He really loves the quirky, weird stories and the fun illustrations of these stories. He is determined to read all of Roald Dahl's children's books. We are down to the last few books and the public library doesn't have them...so the hunt begins. I am happy to do it...I find that when my kids are "into" a series, you have to strike while the iron is hot or they lose interest.
Sadie is now joining the book worm club. She has fallen head over heals in love with the Magic Treehouse Series. The other day she was so engrossed in her book that she didn't want to come to dinner. I have to admit that I was more happy than annoyed. Like Colby she wants to read them all...in order. So another hunt begins. These books are plentiful, but not always the right book at the right time. I'm not complaining...I choose not to buy books very often...so I get to be a book hunter.
Some moms run their kids all over town to dance, music, and sports lessons. I just run all over town finding books to keep the 6 of us happy and content....with a good book!!
1 comment:
Love this post comparing yourself to a bookmobile and the stories of your kids reading.
Post a Comment