Sunday, March 9, 2014

Our Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day used to be my favorite holiday. But somehow it has slipped in the ranking. Maybe because Eric thinks it is a dumb holiday -- he always says that he loves me EVERY day, not just on Valentine's Day. That's sweet, but....still.
Maybe it is because Eric's birthday is February 13th so when Valentine's Day rolls around -- I feel like we just did the whole presents, special dinner, special date night, and cards the day before. Who has the energy, desire, or money to do it all again. Either way, the holiday had kind of fallen off the radar in our family until last year.
Eric and a group of guys planned an amazing night of pampering, dinner, dessert, and music. It was truly spectacular. Well, this year it was "our turn" so the wives of this group (plus a couple new faces) decided to take on the task of planning a Valentine's extravaganza. I don't think ours was QUITE as impressive -- but we had a fun night. Our original plan was to go Cross Country Skiing. However the weather didn't cooperate. It was warm and rainy -- not a good combo for skiing. So Plan B was Laser Tag and Miniature Golf. We were with 5 other couples and we had a blast. We rarely (never) do stuff like that, so it was fun to revisit our youthful days. Then we went back to one couple's house and had a nice dinner of soup, salad, rolls, cheesecake, and cake. Yummy!!!! It was a really fun way to celebrate Valentine's Day. I think a tradition has been born. Guys are up next year!!!

Also this year, I decided that we needed some Valentine's decorations. I am really getting into this "decorate for every holiday" thing. So my sister-in-law Debbie showed me how to make a really easy and fun to make heart garland. I'm so proud!!! It made me happy every time I saw it.

And of course...sugar cookies. I think the intent was to give some to neighbors...but I'm pretty sure we ate them all ourselves. Oops!!

Colby's class really got into the "make your own Valentine Box" thing. Colby has the most "out-there" ideas sometimes. I'm usually not creative enough or patient enough to make it happen, so this time I sent him to his dad. This is what they came up with. Pretty cool, huh??

 


Sadie made this fun V-day box from a kit that I got on super clearance last year. She had a blast putting it together.

Renae is at that in between stage -- no one is exchanging cutesy paper valentines anymore, but they don't have Valentine's and boyfriends (thank goodness!) to buy stuff for. So the answer??? A purse full of suckers to hand out to her friends. Perfect.

Mason???? Valentine's Day? What? I think it was just another day for him. And I'm okay with that.

3 comments:

Grannie said...

Colbs,

Way cool V-tines box! You are the man. Pops

Day Family Blog said...

Sounds like a super fun evening to me! Also I love the toilet valentine holder!!! So creative.

Rachael said...

I love that toilet valentines box! He could have won an award if there was a contest for funniest box.