Thursday, January 21, 2010

FREEDOM

Now, I have to qualify this entry...I don't want anyone gettting the wrong idea. I LOVE my children. I love spending time with my children and I treasure the moments we have together. I am so grateful that I am a stay at home mom with 4 children; I wouldn't have it any other way.

BUT...it is nice to have some time alone every once in a while. It is nice to run an errand, make a phone call or even clean the house without children.

Sadie started Preschool this week. The preschool is run through the University (it's held on campus and the teachers are BYU-I students) so it only lasts 3 months and then it is over. But for the next 3 months I have my Tues & Thurs mornings "kid-free." It is a strange and exhilarating feeling.

Today I accomplished more than I thought possible. Eric scoffed when he saw my overly ambitious list. But I did it all: KMart, Deseret Book, library, Albertson's and Broulims (a grocery store). I was even rigorously "couponing" so it took extra time...but I got it all done in less than 2 hours. It was like a marathon of errands.

To the best of my recollection, this is the first time in almost 10 years that I have had this kind of free time blocked out in regular intervals. I'm trying not to let it go to my head but the possibilities are endless...I could start a hobby....read more novels...have a clean house...do something crafty....get pedicures... hmmmmmmmmm. Or just run errands, go to appointments, and get mundane stuff done. That's more likely. But I'll take it while it lasts.

10 comments:

Brian and Janette said...

Wow! Slightly envious here...I remember what it was like to get stuff done. Wasn't that long ago...but I know that I have a long way to go before I get to that point again. And I haven't even scratched the surface (with only one child, and all)...YIKES!! But I know that good and exciting times await me too--that I won't trade for anything!

Grannie said...

Wow! Yes,the possibilities are only limited by 2 hours and $$$!Enjoy, but also enjoy the kids..which I know you do. I'm looking at the other end of it; All too soon they are all gone! I miss you all! Can we Skype after school today?

Rochelle Brunson said...

I'm so far away from the freedom that you speak of, that I can't even talk about it......but I dream of the day when it will happen.

Beth said...

Oh boy, I envy your freedom! I look forward to the day that I too can get oh so excited over a couple of hours alone. :) Even when they are spent doing chores.

Debbie Lawrence said...

Ahhh...someday I'll have that freedom. But another part of me is so sad that even ONE of my kids will be going to HALF a day of school soon! Funny how we want the best of both worlds.

Day Family Blog said...

I always wondered what mothers do once their kids aren't at home. You should definitely pick up scrapbooking again. I know that we aren't done having kids and I am glad about that, but man it makes me a bit jealous to think you will never have to potty train again and now you have FREE time, how fun!

Trisha said...

SOAK IT IN!! We know you love your kids, but every mom enjoys a little alone time every once in awhile.

jenichild said...

Oh- I'm a little jealous, but it also makes me want to soak up every second with my sweet little kids. It goes by too fast!

jenny said...

it is nice! enjoy it! i'm always doing something different whether it's running errands, reading a book or cleaning my room. :)

Wendy said...

the possibilities are endless...enjoy!