Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Heather Home-maker"

Well I've had a lot of first since moving to Idaho, but one that I am most thrilled about is our gardening attempts. Eric and I do not have green thumbs, but I am happy with what our labors produced. Our garden is TINY, but it's the first time I've ever gardened. Our flower bed was modest, but it's the first time I'd ever planted flowers. In the homemaking spirit we also picked our own Huckleberries in the mountains, canned fruit and made jam. Can you believe it? I know many of you Utah women have gardens & canning skills that would put me to shame, but I am a novice and really thought I would hate all this stuff. Surprise! I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself...so here are some pictures to prove it really happened!



Our little garden plot

Our flower garden

Our raspberry bushes


Green beans from the garden -- YUMMY
And have you ever seen "purple beans?" ...
they taste the same and actually turn green when you cook them.
Fun, huh?

Only got 2 zucchinis....can't wait to make some zucchini bread!

Two tiny cucumbers. Don't know if they'll even be good to eat.

Raspberries. We had a couple cups every other day for awhile there.


A family Huckleberry Hunt!
Huckleberries (in case you don't know) can not be domesticated --
they only grow in the wild.
They are hard to find and hard to pick.
 People are very secretive about their Huckleberry Patches
 -- you have to find your own.
But we had success and now have our own "secret place"

Our fingers died purplish-red after hours of picking.

The coveted berries.
So much work. But a lot of fun!


My first experience canning.
I canned peaches and pears with my sister.
Thanks sis, never could have done it without you!

Our first 2 attempts at jam (Eric actually did most of it):
Freezer Jam - Huckleberry Raspberry and
Cooked Jam - Huckleberry

My solo attempts at jam (today!):
Freezer Jam - Peach
Freezer Jam - Peach Raspberry

But since I am doing my "8 weeks to a Better You" challenge...I didn't even get to sample them!
But the first "Free Day" I get....look out jam, here I come!

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Wow, for a first timer you sure did a lot! Got more done than me too.

Wendy said...

I'm so glad you had such a positive experience your first go around. I am crazy jealous about all the canning you've gotten done. I has big plans...but I guess there's always next year.

Jessica Reid said...

Awesome! Keep it up, you'll just get better every year. I am a mad jammer, haven't canned whole fruits yet, but I dry it like Gma jensen

Day Family Blog said...

Did you try your jam yet, how was it? When should we talk? Did the kids like the canned fruit? You are really becoming quite the homemaker :)

Grannie said...

I'm proud of you Heather! You've tried things I haven't even done!