Sunday, September 12, 2010

Summer Saga: Part 4 - Visit from Cousin Heidi

The next adventure in our Summer of Fun was a visit from my best cousin
and dear friend Heidi.
She and her family came to stay with us for a few days.
Her kids and my kids match up well in age and interest
so they had a blast too.
It was fun to catch up and enjoy each other's company.


They were with us for the 4th of July.
This was our first 4th of July in Rexburg...so this meant a lot of FIRSTS for my kids.
First 4th of July Parade. In Arizona it was way too hot to go to a parade.
I don't think they even had them for Independence Day in Tucson.
Rexburg's 4th of July parade was pretty neat. They throw TONS of candy to the kids.
I mean like "trick-or-treating" amounts of candy.
Everyone got tons of otter pops and a chocolate milk too. Crazy. Fun.

First Darth Vader in a Parade. My boys were in heaven!

First "Larger Than Life Grocery Cart Float." You don't see that in every parade!

Eric's favorite...the bag pipers. Just can't help getting choked up when they go by.


Melissa & Renae LOVING the heart shaped leaf.
 I wish I had video of the dances they performed for us. It was amazing!!!

Sadie & Katie. Cutie Pies.

The boys. Bradley, Colby & Mason.
Bradley has all sisters so I think this was especially fun for him.


Another FIRST: Doing fireworks in the front yard.
All fireworks are illegal in Arizona. The kids were riveted.

Even sparklers were a first for most of my kids. Sad, I know.


We did fireworks with our neighbors.
They have become a family away from family for us.
Sadie just loves Mrs. Doggett (who is also her Preschool Teacher).

I LOVE this picture of Colby.
I swear he got drunk off the Doggetts homemade rootbeer. Is that possible?


And to end up this fun-filled week -- Heidi and her family took my
oldest two kids to Bear Lake with them for a week.
I joined them with Colby & Sadie for a couple days
 at the end of the week and then brought them all home.
It was a BLAST. We love Bear Lake!

This is a P.S. to the post.
While the big kids were at Bear Lake we drove out to the Teton Dam site.
The place where the Teton Dam broke in 1976.
I was way too young to remember it, but it was a huge disaster
and is still remembered and referred to often by the people of Rexburg.
It is quite fascinating. If you've never heard about it, Google it.

3 comments:

The Lemon Family said...

is melaluca still sponsor fireworks in if...if so you HAVE to go see it they put on the BEST show ever

The Lemon Family said...

ok so i didnt read that before i published it sorry for the mistakes

Rachael said...

That is cool that you guys got to see so many 4th of july firsts. Also that Heidi's kids are so well matched with yours!