Well the Tuesday before Labor Day my Aunt Marde called out of the blue and asked us if we wanted to join them at their cabins at Bear Lake for the weekend. Wow! We had no big plans for the holiday weekend -- except some household projects -- so we took them up on their generous offer. A few phone calls later -- it was a mini-family reunion in the works. Both my sisters and even my mom (for a few hours) were going to come out. What sparked this whole trip was my cousin Jared returning from his mission in Chili and wanting to get out on the water and get in a quick fun trip before he started back at school. Thanks Jared for getting the ball rolling.
We had a delightful weekend. It was short, sweet, perfect. The weather couldn't have been better -- for the most part -- and the crowds were much smaller than in the summer months. We had a great time. Here are some highlights (via photos):
Saturday was Beach Day -- lots of sand & sun. My mom was only there for a few hours and my sister Janelle for a few more. But we packed in the fun.
My sisters & I
My mom with 9 of her 11 grandkids
Mason & Jared building sand castles
Sadie & Sienna jumping waves -- love the action shot
My Aunt Marde & my mom cruisin on a wave runner
Sunday we went to the local church there in Laketown. We lucked out and saw Elder Quintin L. Cook (a General Authority of our church) there & we even got to shake his hand. The kids were impressed.
A quick snack before church. The kids were singing all the church songs they knew.
It was a priceless moment.
Mason fell in LOVE with the motorcycle there.
Eric taking the little kids for a ride on the quad.
Mason -- speeding away in the golf cart. Top speed -- 5 miles an hour.
Monday was our boating day. There were foreboding clouds and lots of wind, but we outran the storm and managed to find some sunshine and good weather on the other side of the lake.
Captain Eric was a speed-demon boat driver. He loved it.
The girls loved just cruisin on the boat
Eric took the boys out on the tube -- Colby wanted MORE speed.
Mason was a bit more cautious.
Here is where it all went wrong.
Colby was driving the boat (yes he was on my uncle Ross's lap)
but he still had control of the steering...which leads us to my story...
I was out on the tube with Sadie & Maya. We were going SLOW (as they requested). But when you are going slow, turning is not good. The line went slack and then pulled taut again...next thing you know we were diving face first under the water like a submarine. It was very scary. Sadie was stuck under the tube for awhile...as I swam to grab her, I watch Maya drifting farther away. I knew we would be fine...we all had life jackets on. But I was still scared. When I finally had both girls in my arms they were kind of pulling and grabbing at me (out of fear)....I got pushed under a few times. I choked and swallowed water -- I'll admit...I started freaking out. The lake is almost 200 feet deep and the boat was still a swim away. Eric saw the panic on my face and jumped in, off the bow, to save us. My hero!! All ended well -- but it was a memorable tube ride.
Our moment of drama notwithstanding -- we had a wonderful trip to Bear Lake. As always. Thank you Marde & Ross for being such wonderful hosts.
1 comment:
Scott and our boys had a very similar experience. The tube submarined under because there wasn't enough air. Luckily only Dex went in the water and scott pulled him up quickly. He was a little scared of the tube after that.
Post a Comment