Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Monday's Musings -- late again

Maybe I should just rename it 'Tuesdays Thoughts' since I keep missing Monday. Oh well.

My thought for today is about Thanksgiving. Not the holiday...but the act of thanksgiving -- or giving thanks. I wondered where the word came from & if it was biblical. So I looked it up in the LDS scriptures Topical Guide online and found 20 references where the actual word "thanksgiving" was used in the scriptures. I was very surprised. It was mentioned in both the Old & New Testament as well as the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants. I won't share all 20 references but here are a few that really spoke to me:

Alma 34:38 "...and that ye live in thanksgiving daily,
for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you."

Psalm 95:22 "Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving,
and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms."

Then I looked up other similar words like "thankful" and "thanks" and found a dozen more scriptures.

Colossians 3:15 "And let the peace of God rule in your hearts,
to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful."

Doctrine and Covenants 59:7 "Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things."

And finally, I found this great quote that really motivated me. Besides gratitude being a commandment and something that the Lord wants us to do....it can make us a better person.

"a quality that the Roman orator Cicero claimed was “not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others” (Marcus Tullius Cicero, Pro Plancio, 54 B.C.). It is a quality I have found in every happy person I know. It is a quality that instantly makes a person more likable and more at peace. Where there is an abundance of this virtue, there is happiness. Where there is an absence of this virtue, there is often sadness, resentment, and futility.

The virtue I am speaking of is gratitude.

Gratitude is a mark of a noble soul and a refined character. We like to be around those who are grateful. They tend to brighten all around them. They make others feel better about themselves. They tend to be more humble, more joyful, more likable."

Wow. That is a lot of power for one little virtue. Who doesn't want to be more joyful, likable, peaceful and humble?? You are welcome to join me in my quest to be a more grateful person...with an attitude of gratitude and thanksgiving all year round.












Joseph B. Wirthlin a former leader in the LDS church shared the following: 

2 comments:

Beth said...

Even if it was late, I really enjoyed your thoughts today. Poor Thanksgiving is over looked year after year, and yet I find it to be one of the most important holidays of the year. Especially when it comes to self improvement. Thanks for the message.

Brian and Janette said...

LOVED this! Thank you for posting it and reminding us all to be a little better.