Friday, November 18, 2011

Sadie -- on the topic of running with knives

Here was a recent conversation with Sadie. I wrote it down right afterward so this is almost verbatim. First a little background:

Sadie is the only child home all day. So she gets a lot of parent time (of course not all of it is quality one-on-one time) like right now while I'm on the computer-- but sometimes it is. Eric comes home for lunch every day and we have lots of interesting conversations when it just the 3 of us. A few days ago, I was having a salad for lunch and Sadie was helping me cut up carrots. The night before she was my "dinner helper" and helped cut olives. She loves chopping things -- with close supervision of course. So Eric and I were giving her some knife safety rules. One was "Never Run With a Knife." Sadie answered with....

Sadie: What if someone left their knife here and I have to run after him with his knife to catch him before he leaves.


Eric: Well... leave the knife here in the kitchen. Run after him and tell him to come back and get his knife.


Sadie: Well what if he is on a bike. I will have to go fast. I might not catch him if I don't run with the knife.


Me: Well....in my 35 years of life, I have never had anyone leave a knife at my house and then ride away on a bike. So I think you are safe. Just don't run with a knife!

I just couldn't stop laughing after that conversation. The mind of a 4 year old is a fascinating thing.

2 comments:

Rochelle Brunson said...

she is so funny!

Brittani said...

Oh man! I miss that girl! Too funny. The mind of a Sadie 4 year old is especially fascinating to me :)