Halloween is over. We had some fun, but I can't say I'm sorry to see it end. I am so excited for November and Thanksgiving. I love the chance to be celebrate and count all our blessings, to be with family, to remember our American heritage and to eat yummy food! What's not to love? Oh and the bonus....it isn't a commercialized holiday full of money draining traditions.
Ok, but here is my question for all of you. And I really would LOVE to hear your ideas about how you solve the Candy Question. The kids had a fun filled night trick-or-treating (I'll post pictures later)...but now we have oodles and oodles of candy. What do YOU do with all the candy? Let them gorge on it at their leisure? Restrict when and how much candy they have? Let them save it up and make it last all year? Make them eat it all in a week? Buy it off them? I've heard many ideas....but ever year I change my mind or waiver on what we are going to do. My favorite was when we had a dentist in Tucson who would buy the candy off the kids. My kids picked 20 pieces and sold the rest. I guess i could do that..... Anyway I would love to hear what you do in YOUR family.
9 comments:
I don't have this problem yet, but my mom had a chocolate tax when we didn't do chores or what we were asked on time. That is always a funny memory, and she admitted to us in our adult years that when we went to bed she threw half of each of our hauls in the outside trash bin.....
We dont' quite have this problem yet either, but want I do know is that I don't want it to become a power struggle EVER! So, here are some links to some good ideas that I've read in the past.
http://www.trainermomma.com/2010/10/fit-momma-question-moms-and-halloween-candy/
http://www.trainermomma.com/2009/10/soooooo-much-candy/
Good luck!
I pulled out what I needed for stockings last night. They got 2 pieces today after school.
Operation Shoebox sends your candy donations overseas to the troops.
http://www.allvoices.com/s/event-4532953/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5vcGVyYXRpb25zaG9lYm94LmNvbS8=
We are sending a box their way tomorrow. :0)
I don't have any experience but I do have an opinion. I think they should get a couple days to enjoy it- a couple pieces after meals and then you throw it out. I don't feel guilty throwing something away that is 100% non nutritious. It should be a treat and not made to last for months on end.
I let them have two or three pieces of candy after school, after dinner, during a movie, whenever I want to pull the pumpkins off the high shelf. It still goes pretty fast that way. Our dentist here will buy back candy too, but I've never tried it. Ismael & I snack from their stash at night sometimes too. :)
For starters, we miss you guys!
Then to answer your question, our dentist buys it and then sends the candy to troops overseas. I let the kids pick out their favorite handful of treats and then use the dollar or two from the dentist to buy something at the dollar store. If you don't have a dentist who does it, you could always buy it from them.
We usually let them eat some after school and after meals for a couple of days, then the "Halloween witch" comes and steals the rest and we put it away for christmas stockings. Saves a little bit of cash.
Here are some fun science experiments you can do with it all.
http://www.candyexperiments.com/p/experiments.html
http://www.nj.com/parenting/guest_bloggers/index.ssf/2011/10/things_to_do_with_all_that_lef.html
http://kidshealth.org/kid/stay_healthy/food/excess_candy.html
Wow, everybody had such unique ideas! I'm afraid after a chocolate tax right when the kids got home from t-o-treating, they ate and saved the candy for weeks on end! Maybe if I'd disposed of it quickly, I wouldn't be such a fat, sugar addicted person now! Good luck!
Post a Comment